Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

coconut cake recipe

I wanted to have a nice little laid back cookout for my birthday last night...30 people later...we had a nice bumpin' party.  I'm blessed to have such dear friends and I'm so thankful to celebrate life and live life along side each of them.

I REALLY wanted a coconut cake for my birthday cake this year.  I love me some coconut but I was afraid other people wouldn't so I had folks bring some other treats.  Next to the Crouse Cookies, it turns out the cake was quite a hit.  Who knew?

So I thought I would share the recipe courtesy of Pillsbury (my comments are italicized in red):

INGREDIENTS

1 can (14 oz) coconut milk (not cream of coconut) I finally found this with the ethnic foods, THAI KITCHEN
1 box white cake mix with pudding mine didn't have pudding and it turned out great
1/4 cup water
3 egg whites
3/4 cup flaked coconut
1 cup white vanilla baking chips (6 oz)
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

this recipe is for a 9x13 cake pan.  I wanted I nice little layered cake so I didn't necessarily double the icing recipe, but I just added a little extra of everything to make sure I had enough.  You could probably double it and be ok, I had just barely enough.

DIRECTIONS


1. Heat oven to 350°F for shiny metal or glass pan (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with baking spray with flour. Reserve 1/3 cup coconut milk for frosting. If you need more frosting for the cake remember to reserve more of the coconut milk for it.

2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, remaining coconut milk (1 1/3 cups), the water and egg whites with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in 1/2 cup of the coconut until well combined. Pour into pan.

3. Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

4. Meanwhile, in 2-quart bowl, microwave vanilla baking chips uncovered on High 30 seconds or until melted. Stir; if chips are not completely melted, microwave 15 seconds longer, then stir until all chips are melted. Stir in powdered sugar, butter, reserved 1/3 cup coconut milk and the vanilla. Cover; refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes. (If frosting becomes too firm to spread, microwave uncovered on High 10 to 15 seconds to soften; stir until smooth.) we definitely had to microwave...I would think if you want to spread the icing at all you will need to do this.  but it turned out great!

5. Spread frosting over cake. Immediately sprinkle top with 1/4 cup coconut. Store loosely covered at room temperature.

I only took one picture the entire night (seriously...who am I? guess I was just busy livin' it up!) so I dont' have a picture of the cake...it was all eaten anyway so there aren't even leftovers.  Instead I'll leave with you this picture of people that I love!  Each make my life better.

1 comment:

Lele said...

it sure tasted YUMMMY!!!