Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

my grandparent's house

I'm guessing it's the same for most of us.  Our grandparents' houses hold very special memories.  For me it certainly does.  My granparents have lived in the same house for 48 years.  I've seen the amount of stuff I can accumilate staying in the same place for 2 years...48 years...dang.  And boy did they accumilate.

My grandmother was your queen bee southern hostess back in the day.  With a minster for a husband she had to do her fair share of entertaining others and she loved it.  Her china collection proves that. 

At the end of the month my grandparents will be moving to an assisted living facility.  Even though they seem to be excited about not having to keep a house clean or cook every meal or find someone to mow the yard, I can't help but think how sad it is as well.  As we laid out all their belongings...and I mean ALL to be passed out between family members or sold in an estate sale it was evident how much life was lived in this place.  They raised two kids in that house...grandchildren...hosted christmas gatherings, ladies luncheons, birthday parties, and bible studies.

I consider it such an honor to take into pocession some of her favorite peices.  As I unpack everything we brought back I'm sure I'll post picures and stories of all the items, but for now I'll leave you with one of my favorites.

My grandmother had a very close friend, Ms. May.  I remember loving going over to Ms. May's house.  It was the coolest house I'd ever been in.  She had little fountains in her house and twenty years ago I'd never seen little fountains in people's house.  There was stuff everywhere, but it was all really neat and had a story.  When Ms. May died she left me with a set of her china.  It's beautiful.  Ms. May's daughter did incredible needlework.  She made this peice that hung in my grandmother's formal living room for as long as I can remember. 

(sorry for the bad glare)

As Josh and I begin to talk about how we want to decorate our house and what to have and what to get rid of, I consider it a priveledge to be able to hang this peice in my house.  Even if it were ugly...which, I think it's beautiful, but if it weren't I'd still love the fact that I could put it up somewhere and when people see it I can tell them all about my grandmother, and Ms. May and her family.

No comments: