Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

TREND: Pom Poms

Martha Stewart...what would we do without her, right?  She and her staff come up with more recipes, crafts, and home decorating ideas then one person could possibly think of attempting in one life time.  I still think it's hilarious she was in jail and continues to be as classy and creative as ever.  Oh Martha!


One of her DIY decorating crafts that has become quite popular for any sort of party...birthday, shower, wedding reception...you name it, are her famous tissue paper pom poms.  I first used them at my Christmas Party last year and I really loved how they turned out.  I continue to see them everywhere! Here are a few things I've learned while making them:

LESSON #1
Your tissue paper doesn't have to be the size they say.  It can be whatever size you want to make it - especially if you want to make the cute little puffs like we did for little laney's baby shower.


LESSON #2
I wouldn't think you necessarily have to use floral wire.  I felt like I needed to do it "martha's way" the first time I tried them and because of that I have enough floral wire to last for years...I would think a normal garbage bag twist tie - or something of the sorts - would work just fine.  Especially for the little ones, the big wire seems like kind of a waist.


LESSON #3
I tore a lot of my tissue paper when trying to seperate the layers.  It's not really  noticable after you pull them all a part...but I try to be careful from now on.

Here are links to some of my favorite uses of these cute little party gems!

I think a fiesta is a great theme to use them!
if only I would have seen this before I got bauer!
who needs to hang them when you can stick them to wall?
jazz up dinner by hanging them over the table or spice up a dessert table by making it the back drop

and...if you don't want to make them, there are tons of folks that you can buy them from!

happy pom pom making!

No comments: