Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

cream cheese brownies

The weather has been so nice lately!  Perfect for grilling!  While Josh was manning the grill on Saturday night cooking up these:

(2 ears of corn, squash, zucchini, and an onion all from the farmer's market for a total of $2.61)

I decided to try a new recipe!

Paula Deen. She does it right!  I had gotten one of her cookbooks from my grandmother so I thought I'd try something new.  Cream Cheese Brownies!

In “The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook” Copyright 1997, 1998 by Paula Deen Pages 149-150


For Lady Brownies:
2 C. Sugar
1C Veggie Oil
4 Eggs
6 Tbsp. Cocoa
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 C Self-rising flour
1 C chopped walnuts or pecans
Preheat oven to 325 degree’s. Blend together sugar, oil, eggs, cocoa, and vanilla. Add Flour; mix. Add nuts; spread into greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minute’s.
For Cream Cheese Brownies: Use lady Brownies recipe above. Poor half the batter into a greased pan. Layer with this cream cheese mixture, then top with remaining batter, swirling it with a knife.
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) Butter, softened
1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
1 C chopped walnuts or pecans
Cream together butter and cream cheese. add remaining ingredients; blend well. Swirl into brownie batter with knife edge.


my two cents...
- I didn't put the cream cheese layer in the middle.  I just added it on top and swirled it up a good bit.
- it probably took closer to 45 minutes, than 30 like the book said.
- I did not put nuts in the cream cheese mixture.
- they were absolutely delicious.  We took some over to the new neighbors that moved in and they seemed to like them.  Paula...she knows her stuff!

No comments: