Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

live a life of love

1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Ephesians 5:1 & 2


I wanted to make something for my bridesmaids...something I made, just for them.  I felt like it meant more than just buying them earrings I thought were pretty for my wedding.  I also felt like it was weird for me to make something and think it was so awesome they should put in their home.  I didn't want to make something just to make something to display.  I wanted it to mean something because each of these girls meant the world to me - how did I show that?

I had seen this verse on a painting and really liked it.  Each of my friends had played such a role in encouraging, mentoring, and growing me in my faith walk.  Having each of these girls walk along side me (some for 23 years!) has allowed me to better walk in the way of love.  They have continued to show me the love of Christ throughout heartache, death, joy, big life changing events, and the simple matters of every day.  This was the verse I wanted to share with each of them.

A year ago this weekend I was in a  car accident with 3 of my bridesmaids.  It was certainly a crazy day.  I'd never been in a wreck like that before, I'd never ridden in the back of an ambulance, with a neck brace, on one of those hard boards, I'd never been in the ER for myself in the trauma unit, or had to stay overnight in the hospital.  I was far from home, separated from the others, and alone in a hospital room...but I never doubted I wasn't surrounded by love.  My friends continued to come check on me, take care of me, and get us all back home safely.  Part of the trauma unit procedure is that they have to cut off all your clothes...even if it's a brand new banana republic dress.  I'd kept the rags of the dress wanting to find a way to remember that day and the love and gratitude I felt for my life, God's provision, and the love of friends who walked with me through it.

I felt like my wedding, surrounded by my friends who have allowed me to live a life full of love, would be a great occasion to give them this verse and gift.  I love each of you dearly and I am thankful for the life of love we have shared together.


1 comment:

Rachel said...

Such a special gift. I love it, and I love that God's love and protection watches over us all just as it did a year ago!