Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

TREND: diaper cakes

So, as I've stated before, I read a lot of blogs.  Mainly crafty party blogs.  I've picked up on a lot of trends that are circulating these days in the party-sphere.  I tend to try and conquer some of these trends when given the oportunity.  Thus begins my first ever re-occuring blog segment, TRENDS!  Hopefully this will be helpful and encouraging.

First Up: Diaper Cakes!


I made my first diaper cake 2 years ago for my friend Ryan's baby shower.  I was excited and nervous.  I'd seen them everywhere.  What do they put in the middle? Do I roll the diapers? or fan them? So much to try.

Lesson #1: The Inside - really anything you want can go inside.  I tend to start my base with a box of wipes (it's not cylindrical so it can be tricky...but they are so practical).  Some people put bottles together.  I use wipes for the bottom 2 layers and then a lotion or shampoo bottle for the top (1 or 2)


Lesson #2: if you choose to fan out the diapers (that's the best way I can describe it) - this is what I do...it just looks better to me and more fun - then have an extra set of hands to hold the diapers in place.  If you can't pull in some hands, I'd sugest going the rolled route (it's just not my favorite).



Lesson #3: Have some sort of extra string to tie around the layers at first.  Then you can see it all set and figure out where to use your pretty ribbon.  That way no one's arms are trying to hold 4 layers of diapers while you go back and forth about the blue and the pink? or the blue and the green?



Lesson #4: If you choose to go with the "fan" option, then most of your baby items can be on the inside...but you can also dress it up a bit, I just choose to keep it simple.  When you do the rolled look you can certainly add a bit more flair.

Lesson #5: I use about 90 diapers per cake.  Obviously the bigger the cake, the more diapers.  I tend to do the bottom 2 layers in size ONE and then the top in Newborn.


I by no means am an expert.  Just a normal person trying to DIY myself through one shower at a time.  I hope you have found this helpful.

No comments: